Up early, eat, open, shoot, drive, eat, skate, down late.

I had a dental appointment this morning so I had to get up somewhat early. I had wanted to ride my bicycle to the clinic, but it was just a tad bit too cold that morning, and I think my joints would have frozen by the time I got into the dentist's chair. In the end, the ride was chilly, but at least I got there fairly quickly.

Nothing interesting was found, so I rode back home to shower before we headed out for brunch at Panagio's All Day Grill. I definitely loaded up on carbs, but next up was heading down to East York to check out a couple of open houses before going to the beginner archery session at Shawn's Archery. I was not expecting to learn much, until he suggested that I shoot left handed.

Why left handed you ask? I'm glad you asked, because that was my first question. My dominant eye is my left eye. I've known this since University. However, in high school, everybody shot right. I do not recall doing a eye dominance test, but I do remember that I learned to shoot by closing my left eye. This cancels out the domination and allows me to properly aim at the target. Shooting guns is the same way with me, I shoot right but close my left eye.

Now, the reasoning to have me try shooting left was to allow me to shoot with both eyes open. The advantage of using both eyes is: depth perception. With only one eye, it is very difficult do judge the distance of an object which makes it difficult to hit, unless that target is stationary and you have had a practice shot or ten. I have always gotten away with using one eye because tournaments always have fixed distances for targets.

It might explain why I kept shooting too high/low when we were playing archery tag.

In any case, he was worried that my right handed arching might make it difficult for me to shoot left since I have to unlearn what I knew before before training my left. But it has been over two decades since I did any serious archery so I am basically a beginner again. Since this was a beginner session it was the perfect time to try shooting left.

I only got to shoot less than dozen arrows during the session, but the instruction was very good. I will recommend anyone else thinking of trying archery to participate in one of those sessions. I had to leave early to drive MJNL to the airport, but it was enough to get me a feel of left handed shooting. I think I will continue on this route for a while and see where it leads me.

I got stuck in traffic on the way back to the house, but we had plenty of time and traffic was good. They had also checked in on line so there was no real rush to get to the airport and the trip there was uneventful.

After dropping MJNL off at the airport, I went straight to a family birthday party where I had my fill of meats, vegetables, fungus, and cake. Probably not the best combination since I had a hockey game that night. Mind you, I think my poor performance may be more related to only showing up a few times in the past few months. It was like I forgot how to play or something. Bah, it didn't matter. I had fun, and we still won!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London