The search for Maidenhead Postcards

After our presentation had finished and the discussions had completed, we were left sitting in the meeting room waiting for the final meetings decisions on how to proceed. Most of these discussions were not going to include me, so I was very interested in leaving early to go to the Heritage Museum to see if they had any post cards for sale.

I had searched for postcards since I had arrived in Maidenhead, but got stymied at each shop and even at the post office as nobody had any post cards to sell! The only exception was a stationary shop, but they only had blank postcards. Who the heck buys blank post cards?!?

Each time I asked around, the employees would tell me that the Heritage Centre may have post cards available, but they were not open on Sundays.

The Heritage Centre is open from 1000-1600, Tuesday to Saturday. Exactly the worst times for me during this trip.

We also had the Monday to explore, but my search that day was also fruitless, as the Heritage Centre was closed on Mondays and none of the shops I checked out that day had post cards either!

Since we had to work the next three days, I had low hopes at getting Maidenhead postcards. I have been to London before so I've sent out postcards from there, so I figured that getting postcards from some place a bit more exotic would be an interesting change.

Back to today, our presentations actually concluded closer to two thirty, which gave me plenty of time to hop over to the Heritage Centre to check, but I decided to wait until the end even after being encouraged to go. I figured that I had enough time.

Unfortunately, the end ended up being a bit after four, so I was resigned to not being able to check it out, except that instead of going directly to the train station, I headed to the Heritage Centre anyway.

It took me about ten minutes to walk there, but the first time I walked by, I missed it completely. It wasn't until I saw a road sign that pointed it's direction and distance when I realized my mistake.

Completely demoralized, I walked back to check it out and was surprised to see some guy walking out the building and locking up. He asked me if he could help me with anything and I told him that I was looking for post cards. He told me that he was only there because he had to come back to pick up something he had forgotten! How fortunate for me!

Imagine if I had not gone to check it out, or if I had found it the first time I walked by only to see that it was closed. I would never had run into the guy closing the centre. Some would call it coincidence. I would call it providence.

I was able to pick up a handful of Maidenhead postcards to fill out and he told me about their Spitfire simulator that they have available. Unfortunately, being closed I was unable to take a look. Perhaps next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London