Goodbye old friend.

I mentioned that I was going through the bucket with my old T-shirts today.

In the bucket I found my old security blanket. I think I talked about it before on The PIT but I can't be bothered to look it up right now. Anyway, I knew that it was close to turning into a big pile of lint, which is why I didn't bother trying to wash it before putting it into the bin, but if I wanted to keep it, I needed to wash it since it.. needed washing. So I threw it into the washer, which I hoped would be gentle enough as it was a side loader. The washing cycle went.. well enough. It did not seem like it lost that much weight, but everything looks about the same when it's wet. I threw the blanket into the dryer before we went to dinner.

When we got back, I checked and sure enough, a large pile of lint fell on the floor when I opened the door. The lint trap was chock full of blanket pieces and the blanket itself was so tangled with itself that there was no point trying to undo all the knots. Alexander had better luck in Gordium. The blanket was slowly disintegrating in my hands as I tried to make out what was left.

With a heavy heart, I grabbed a plastic bag and shoved the blanket inside. At least it would be given a shape, but it also meant that I was no longer keeping my old companion anymore. There was really no good reason to keep a pile of fibers in a plastic bag around just for sentimental reasons. It is now next to my pile of T-shirts that I will be donating. Ready to be shipped with the trash.

I still wonder how my blanket could suddenly decompose all of a sudden. It was fine up until right before I put the blanket in the bucket when it looked like it was going to fall apart on me. Then again, it was old and after four decades even the best cloth will degrade, and I was never all that gentle with it.

Goodbye old friend. Thank you for keeping me company all of those years I was alone. I guess looking back at it now, I can see that I may have been by myself - but never alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London