Someone had a screw loose.

So we've been having issues with our old 40" TV. Ever since we moved to our condo downtown, the TV would shut off by itself after a period of time. Then it would be stuck in a standby state where you could hear a slight clicking noise. It was as if it was trying to turn on but could not fire up the screen. A nice smack on the front bezel where Samsung was written would usually get the TV to turn on again, but sometimes it would just fizzle out after a few minutes and another good whack would be needed. More annoyingly, the TV is still technically in an "ON" state so one can walk away from the device and hours later, the television would turn on by itself. It requires getting the TV to turn on normally to be able to turn it off properly. That or pull the plug.

In any case, this has been going on for the past three years or so and I have been meaning to open up this sucker to see what was wrong with it. Reports on the internet suggested that this was a common occurrence with these types of Samsung TVs and that the culprit was usually some blown capacitors.

I was not looking forward to resoldering anything as I did not have the equipment. I also did not have a spare television either so if this went well, that was it. It was only after my parents gave us their old TV (two of them actually) that I finally got around to opening up the back to see what was inside.

A quick look at the circuitry did not come up with any smoking guns (or capacitors), but my eyes wandered down to the bottom of the TV where I noticed a screw. A loose screw. A screw that just sat at the bottom of the TV. I looked back at the circuit board and noticed that one of the corners of the board was missing a screw. This corner also happened to have a conduction wire attached to it. Possibly to ground the board or complete some sort of circuit. In any case, the screw fit perfectly and I turned on the TV and left it on for hours and hours.

The TV has been working fine ever since.

So now I have an extra TV with no place to put it. I might leave it in my office.. somewhere, or hang it somewhere but I do feel glad that I do not have to throw it out. It would have felt like a waste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London