Torn gastrocnemius.

I tore part of my calf muscle last night. I was really itching to play broomball now that we have a cadre of MBA students coming out to try out the game in preparation for a tournament next year. It was fun to watch them experience running around on the ice for the first time.

That may have been part of the problem. Normally I would be on the ice and running constantly. However, this time I was taking it easy. I only ran in spurts when I had the ball and tried to deke around the throngs of people we had on the ice. So that is probably why I felt a subtle pull in my calf early in the game. The next time I did it, I felt a pop in my left calf. I couldn't walk and I had to get on my knees to finish the play.

I spent the rest of the time stretching my calf, but it felt like something got torn and I was having a lot of trouble walking. I had to hobble to the changing room and it took a long time to get there. My worry was driving home. I do prefer driving stick, except when I get injured, which has not been zero times. In any case, I took it really easy and laid off the clutch as much as possible.

I went to the hospital to get it checked out as my family doctor was unavailable and his clinic was not talking any walk-ins. The wait was not too bad. I eventually found out what the problem was: a partially torn gastrocnemius.

I was told not to apply heat or massage that area for two weeks, and that I should be better in a month. There goes the rest of the year. I don't think I'll be playing volleyball or badminton either..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London