Hibernating music. Shocking.

With the long cold snap we have been having and with MJNL out of town, I have spent a lot of my free time indoors. Most of it working on a long term project that I had been meaning to do for years: Cleaning up my music files. I have collected a lot of music over the years from various sources, and a large chunk of it came from a time before iTunes or any music tagging was easily available. As such, the information is stored on the file name itself, and every so often the information is wrong. Things like House of Pain's "Jump Around" being named Kris Kross's "Jump" instead. Or worse, having file names of 04.mp3. WTF!

The process is to listen to the song, make sure the song isn't broken or corrupted, determine what the name of the song and artist are (usually by lyrics if I don't recognize the song), and then figure out which version of the song I've got. Some songs have multiple versions, and some have remixes on top. Figuring out which is which can be laborious and time intensive. Seven years ago when I first embarked on this project, I had just combined my music collection with MJNL's collection and found quite a number of duplicates, and some variants. With the help of the internet, I was able to figure out some of the missing information, but now that I've gotten back into reorganizing, I've discovered that the amount of information on songs that are now available on Wikipedia has made my life so much easier. Having track times for multiple versions from albums, compilations, and singles makes referencing most of the collection a lot easier. I did notice though, that the English Wikipedia is a bit more lacking when it comes to Canadian or EDM artists, and even more lacking when it comes to songs that were popular in East Asia.

Well, when I restarted my project, I had already cleaned up about 700 files and had about 2000 to go. Now I have about 700 left. I hope to halve that by the end of the week. Progress!

Once everything's been organized, we'll go through and turf songs that we don't listen to.

Oh, AI sent me a video of some guy wearing an electric shock collar while playing FIFA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London