Connecting the Cord.

I got a call from my ISP asking if I would switch from ADSL to cable modem. It would be cheaper and faster so why wouldn't I? I figured that I'd finally be able to take advantage of the recently laid fiber optic cable to my house from before the pandemic.

Well, when I finally got the cable modem, I recognized it as the same model as the one my dad had. Over a decade ago. I was told by the tech that set up my line (from outside the house I might add) that it would continue to use the old coaxial connection as well. Well, shoot.

Oh well, I plugged it in and it did connect, but wasn't particularly good. The speeds did not reach the maximum rated, but it seemed to be fine?

Well, when I was called about cancelling my ADSL connection, I was told that the cable modem connection was poor and there was a chance of buffering and dropped connections. Well, shoot.

They sent another tech, this time to come into the house to check the connection. Apparently the signal in the house was not great and I had to connect to the primary splitter in my office to get acceptable signal strength. Well, it was pretty much what I had planned, but I had no coaxial outlet in that room so I had to do some reorganizing but that was straight forward.

The problems arise when in I swapped out the DSL modem with the cable modem. Half of my networked devices went down, and I spent the next day troubleshooting.

To make a long story short, it was the IP6 DNS that was causing issues. But it took me all day to figure out.

Anyway, the network is good now, my WiFi is functioning again, and I do not want to touch it again for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London