Okay G-word.

So I had trained my Google home speaker to respond when I said "Hey Goober" or "Okay Goober". This was great since I hated to use Google as the key word and Goober seemed like a logical choice for me.

This was working fine for several months, but a couple of months ago, I noticed that my speaker would stop responding to me on occasion. Eventually it got to a point where it stopped responding at all. Sure, it would indicate that it was listening, but after I gave it a command, like "what is the weather today", the speaker would do nothing.

Curious, I tried changing the way I said things, said things slowly, used different speakers, etc. But I could not figure out why the response rate was so poor.

Eventually, I discovered what the problem might be. I usually carry my phone with me around the house and sometimes it will pick up my commands. The difference with my phone is that it will also display what it heard me say on the screen. So when I said "Hey Goober", then a command, the screen would actually append "Hey Goober" to the command, confusing the attendant.

I'm assuming that Google caught on to my trick and had it automatically ignore any "Hey Google" or "Okay Google" in the command. Goober, was processed normally and clearly not part of any normal command.

So in the end, I switched back to using the G-word and things have been working as normal. I know that there are software packages that allow you to change the key word, but I will see if I can try to game the system again.

Oh, also my training may have taught my phone to sometimes trigger when I say "Okay" now. Which is quite annoying..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London