Rooted in the drain.

So the past week we've noticed that the toilet in our house stopped draining. We had the contractors take a look, but they weren't able to determine where the blockage was with their 50' augers. I was going to wait until after all of the construction was done but after I saw some sewage backup in the laundry room, I decided it was time to call in a professional.

I was half thinking of calling in the city and having them take a look before getting someone to check out my side of the drain, but I figured that I could get it all done faster if I brought someone in. They came tonight: it took half an hour from when I called for someone to show up.

Two hours and a much stinkier house later, we discovered the that drain was plugged up pretty bad about 50' from the back flow valve. This puts the blockage squarely on city property. The plumber had augured our side of the pipe and fished out a lot of root bits from the cleaning attempt. It looks like that giant tree (on city property) may have made it's way into the pipes. Since nobody was actually living in the house for a couple of years, it would explain why there was no obvious problem when the renovations were done and during the inspection. It took a few months for that pipe to back up.

I still can't get that smell out of my nose. Yuck!

Time to call the city and get this fixed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London