Donating nostalgia.


So my dad asked both of us whether we wanted to keep the old Atari 800XL that has been sitting in the basement for about three decades. Neither of us wanted it, although I kind of would have liked to tinker with it for old times' sake.

Atari 800XL

But I do not have the time for doing the things I really should be looking at much less playing around for hours to get a three decade old computer up and running. I did not want the computer thrown out though, and I had been recently watching videos about The Centre for Computing History on Computerphile, so I did a bit of research and found The Personal Computer Museum.


Atari 1027
Atari 1050
Along with the Atari 800XL we also had a lot of game cartridges, an Atari 1050 disk drive, a whole bunch of disks, an Atari 1027 printer, and my dad threw in a Smith Corona XL 1800 typewriter. I had good memories with that system. Many games, and my first programming as well, although it was mostly reading the code from a book and typing each line in by hand, which meant that I did not actually learn any concepts of programming, but it was still cool to have "built my own" computer game from scratch. (Which disappeared once the power was turned off.)


Smith Corona XL 1800
In any case, I dropped off the goods tonight to one of the employees of one of the volunteers who runs the museum. I do plan on dropping by one day if we're ever in the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London