Doing the right thing?

I think this is paying it back, but during our health and safety rounds today, we were fishing through some areas of the office that we normally don't pry into. We found a bag full of goodies! It included a Bluetooth mouse, and a Nexus 7!

Now, this closet that we were looking into had not been touched for months, and these items were on a high shelf, in a bag, with bunch of other garbage and it was unlikely that the original owner even knew it was there. I called dibs on the Nexus and took it back to my desk after our rounds. I figured that if it worked, I could reset the device and use it. I plugged the device in, and was able to power it on.

Amazingly, the device was not locked. Who the heck does NOT lock their tablet or phone? Who?!?

First guess: Millennial.

Anyway, I was able to fish around and find their e-mail account. Through that, an e-mail address and name. I checked the company e-mail listing. Nada. I asked around the office to see if anyone recognized the name. I got passed from person to person until I ended up at HR. (Duh.) I talked to HR and they didn't know who this person was, until I pulled up the e-mail on the device and one of the last messages that was on there was an e-mail from HR.

Minutes of digging later and then there was a eureka moment. This person had come to the office, and they had called in the next day inquiring about a missing tablet. This was over 18 months ago. We called the person back, and lo and behold, the owner was found. They will be coming back to the office later to pick up the device. I left the tablet with HR.

My hands are now clean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London