Nuclear Magnetic Symphony

I just got back from my MRI and I found it to be an interesting experience. Having to hold still and not swallow for minutes at a time was a bit more annoying than holding my (empty) breath for 5-15 seconds at a time. I can see how being in the device, especially with the coils over your head could be a problem for anyone who is claustrophobic. The noises from the machine though were rather curious. I didn't spend a lot of time in the NMR labs so I was never exposed to the sounds from the machines when they were running. Hearing them from within the device, even through the ear plugs, made me wonder what each particular hum or click represented. It sounded like some sort of mechanical symphony. A symphony of magnets.

Such are the thoughts of one trying to hold their saliva.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of a kind escape to drinks.

Ring around the Clover Mite

Back from London